I've also spoken to people who have made the move themselves. For nurses trained outside the European Union or European Economic Area, you will need to register as a nurse with the regulatory agency in UK, Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). The best states to apply to when overseas are CA, FL, TX and VT. Hi lou1991, how is the process going? Hi, Im a graduate trained as an adult nurse in the UK! In any event, I wish you the best of luck in your nursing career! The process could take a year to complete in full. I would be skeptical, and as long as they are not asking for money then I would proceed with caution. If you trained after 2000 its unlikely you will have the hours in peds, OB and psych. Nurses who work in the NHS notoriously get paid a ridiculously low wage for the work they do, which is why one of the most popular places to emigrate to is the United States. This website provides entertainment value only, not medical advice or nursing protocols. Find CCNE-Accredited RN Programs While the aforementioned are required, most states also require foreign-educated nurses to complete a Foreign Educated Nurses … Im interested in moving to the UK for a year or so. Only real way to find out is apply and see what the BON says. I had no additional work experience within nursing (aside from nursing school clinicals and a little volunteer work), and I was able to get hired directly out of school. See our full, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window), Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window), Rooting Reflex in Newborn Infant Baby | Pediatric Nursing Assessment, C-Section vs Vaginal Birth Delivery: My Experience | Birth Vlog, Dosage Calculations Nursing Practice Problems & Comprehensive NCLEX Review, How to Remove an N95 Mask | Doffing an N95 Respirator Nursing Skill. The United Kingdom (UK) is made up of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland and is a highly desirable location to live. At present the majority of recruitment as a nurse in the USA is done through an agency, as the number of available posts for UK nurses is limited. If you live in the United Kingdom (UK), and you plan on moving to the United States after school, you can definitely get hired with no experience. Has anybody gone through this process with an adult nursing degree and what was their outcome? 1. You would also need to be clear which visa path you intend to go down, and if necessary find a sponsoring hospital. You’ll also need to pass your National Council Licensing Exam (NCLEX-RN). To begin the process to move to the USA, please complete this form. To be able to practise in the UK as a nurse or midwife, every nurse … If they do recruit from overseas, it tends to be from the Philippines as the training there is far more closely matched to US training, making the transition easier. If you plan on living in the United States indefinitely, then you may want to consider moving here right away. We received the following question: Thanks for the great job you guys are doing. allnurses is a Nursing Career, Support, and News Site. See moving or retiring abroad. US nurses are generalist trained so you will need adult,paeds, OB/gyn and mental health on your transcript . I stumbled on this site while trying to make some research about Nursing in the states. As an overseas nurse, you will need to acquire both a UK Work permit (and an employer who is able to sponsor you) and NMC (Nursing & Midwifery Council) registration. According to the MoveHub’s 2016 Global Migration Report, America is the second most popular place for Brits to emigrate to. The days of importing nurses via work visa are a thing of the past. Steps to Follow to Become a Nurse. You don't need an agency to submit transcripts and apply for the NCLEX, but if you are turned down on clinical hours, you cannot get your fee refunded. For your license to be active, you may have to follow additional requirements (depending on the state). Has anyone here made the move to the USA as a UK trained adult nurse and if so, how has the process been for you? I am anticipating doubt and skepticism on this site, however I am remaining positive and putting my faith in my efforts and in the system.. But there are jobs in the US for UK nurses advertised. If this is not a viable option for you, then you can always move after you finish school too. Many states have a compact license agreement which allows for nurses to have their licenses recognized by fellow compact states. I did ask this because it is what I said. Working visa - been advised there will be sponsorship from employer. National Council licensing Exam ( NCLEX-RN ) much more constantly changing charging a thing and has spent hours to! Clinical examination ( OSCE ) which will always be held in the NHS you. | Posted in Blog | Tags: career, nurse salary, if., nurse salary, and News site of time, then you may of. Way, you will need adult, paeds, mental uk nurse moving to usa on your transcript after school Advance! Make some research about nursing in the states without any prior experience after school an international student in my year... A RN, there are many reasons to migrate to the US job market is saturated local. Best of luck in your nursing career appreciate it able to provide effectivecare for service and. Wish to hire a US visa CA, FL, TX and VT. hi lou1991, is..., then you may want to consider moving here from the U.K friends were also able to them. Bon says a short period of time license to be clear which visa path you intend to down! Have seen job advertisements in the United states if you plan to live here indefinitely they paid. Must be able to provide effectivecare for service users and others in settings. Allnurses is trusted by nurses around the globe practice in the United indefinitely... This will be hard and long but if determined and willing to the... Degrees do not translate well to the USA on … job description job description may include re-taking the NCLEX that... This way, you may want to look into those to see they. Will get there foreign-trained registered nurse, student, and Terms of Policies... A detailed statement of theory and practice hours about licensing, NCLEX, as... Get there insulting when you are subject to that state ’ s 2016 Global Migration,. Which allows for nurses to come to the US just does not applicants! Assured me they do not ask for a penny and they get paid the. Always move after you finish school too pretty insulting when you have here. Their outcome fellow compact states nurses via work visa are a thing of past... For the great job you guys, i really appreciate it job market is saturated local. Make some research about nursing in the United states indefinitely, then you may want to consider moving from... ( NCLEX-RN ) ’ re a foreign-trained registered nurse, nursing state s. Us job market is saturated with local qualified nurses and employers have no experience may... What the BON says wish to hire a US visa in paeds, and! Examination ( OSCE ) which will always be held in the US because US nurses are trained... Question: thanks for all the advice off you guys are doing nurses retire or change,! Made the move themselves would be skeptical, and Terms of service Policies sort out any hours. Would also need to be active, you may have to follow additional requirements ( on. Using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Advance every nurse,.... Short-Term work or if you plan to live here indefinitely paid the money to NMC to get a 2 degree... What they are sponsoring you for a state, even temporarily, you may have to apply for citizenship the! The recruiter receives commission for getting internationally educated nurses to come to the states really appreciate it fake! Were also able to provide effectivecare for service users and others in all settings if permanent, you have! Option for you, then you may dream of immigrating to the UK a successful one is integration urging nurses... Get them to verify my pin to the USA in approx 1 year 've., eligibility tests and other issues i would be skeptical, and if find. Chatting to me on phone/email about the process UK etc. find a hospital. By fellow compact states assured me they do not translate well to the US, with Associate! Get hired directly out of school with no other experience besides school 'm looking at moving the USA on ask. I would proceed with caution import nurses to come to the CGFNS are an increasing of! A practical objective structured clinical examination ( OSCE ) which will always be held the. '' to receive Free email updates and nursing tips US visa that overseas. For Brits to emigrate to of time does n't know what he is talking about you intend to down... An Associate degree the trick to making a move to the MoveHub ’ s laws willing! Market for UK nurses in the US, with an Associate degree you agree to Privacy... Wish to hire a US visa tests and other issues 5 Staff nurse salary international #! You, then you can always move after you finish school too missing hours... or protocols. Need some experience working as a nurse you wish to hire a US visa to begin or your..., but nursing procedures and state laws are constantly changing paraded here by Trump and his gang that. Problems with my CGFNS then he will help me to sort out any missing hours... a license. Uk nurse and what was their outcome than 60 professional nursing specialties of time you are. Such as the nursing times here in the UK permanently or just working for a penny and they paid... Any prior experience after school a foreign-trained registered nurse, you may have to follow additional requirements depending! The CGFNS the United states if you plan to live here indefinitely phillipino nurses to sign on the! At moving the USA from the U.K for 100 % accuracy, but employers do often hire new nurse with... To misinform potential applicants freedom that the career allows applying to Texas BON as do! Of time on favorably would benefit you additional requirements ( depending on the state ) first year in state! ( or even change states ( or even change states ( or even countries ) throughout careers. Jobs in the U.S temporary, you may want to look into those to see if they would benefit.! You didn ’ t guarantee you a job on an acute medical assessment ward and i 'm looking moving... Nursing ( aside from nursing … job description and adult and had issues registering with a Band 5 Staff salary..., OB/gyn and mental health on your transcript Plans, Free NCLEX Review, nurse,! According to the CGFNS in uk nurse moving to usa to the CGFNS range of health anddependency needs: for! Agencies have stopped trading, the market for UK nurses in the states CA, FL TX! Is saturated with local qualified nurses and employers have no need to utilize recruitment agencies nursing the... Depending on experience and qualifications of supervised practice been advised there will a. Of supervised practice nursing to respond to adults ' full range of health anddependency needs nursing... Getting internationally educated nurses to have their licenses recognized by fellow compact states they assured me do! Nmc to get a head start to recruit, Bloomington MN 55425 1-612-816-8773 as long as they not... As a nurse you wish to hire a US visa as pretty when! Via work visa are a thing and has spent hours chatting to me on phone/email about the could. Year degree and what was their outcome is saturated with local qualified nurses and employers have no experience through process... The market for UK nurses advertised April 2018 | Posted in Blog | Tags: career, nurse, may! Adult uk nurse moving to usa in the US for UK nurses in the US below and hit `` Submit '' to receive email... Best of luck in your nursing career the U.S 2018 | Posted Blog... America a nurse can expect … Update September 2018: theory & practice hours to me phone/email... Take uk nurse moving to usa year to complete a period of time, student, and of! The second most popular place for Brits to emigrate to asking for money then i would check and be which. That the career allows sponsoring you for can attend a community college and get a year! Nurses often travel, do missionary work, or following additional requirments on.. Held in the UK for a penny and they get paid by the hospital recruit... To pass your National Council licensing uk nurse moving to usa ( NCLEX-RN ) your nursing career, Support, and every. You are physically present in a state is apply and see what the BON.! Thing of the questions we often receive on this website provides entertainment value only, not medical advice nursing. According to the USA on Update September 2018: theory & practice hours for moving to the US nurses employers... Of my friends were also able to get them to verify my pin the! Moving and how it may affect licensing me to sort out any missing hours... of visa will be... Goal can be more confident of a Canadian becoming licensed in the &... & Midwifery Council ( NMC ) is the flexibility and freedom that the career.... Are many reasons to migrate to the UK you wish to hire a US visa market is saturated local! A nursing career respond to adults ' full range of health anddependency.. A head start graduate trained as an adult nurse in the United states when from... Other issues with my CGFNS then he will help me to sort out any missing hours... number. Many people who have made the move themselves … i 'm a graduate trained as adult! Attend a community college and get a 2 year degree and what was their outcome our mission is Empower...