Don’t let the excitement and emotions of the action dictate how you fish. This is one of the best baits for big striped bass and hybrids. Stripers will congregate in the deepwater alongside these humps. Using a very simple rig with no weight at all to catch bigger fish. Therefore it is recommended that you read the owner's manual thoroughly before using. The type of rod you use will depend on type of fishing you intend to do. FreshwaterFishingAdvice is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. There will be explosions all-around your bait and it will be very exciting but they may not hit your lure at all. That said, you can catch striped bass very well during the day in late fall, winter, and early spring when the water is cold. These stripers can be tougher to locate in bigger water but are usually bigger and just as aggressive. Hybrid striped bass are especially aggressive in their feeding. I've always had the best luck with mackerel, it stays on a long time and stinks like crazy. But for sheer action and intensity, nothing beats the summertime night fishing associated with the spawn of their primary food sources. In turn, the feeding bait fish attract the stripers. Yes, there are striped bass in some American rivers. wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. Approved. What bait should I use if I am fishing from shore? Funny enough, alewives will often try to spawn with your lure. ", "This is helpful in baiting strippers and learning a lot more about the fish. This article has been viewed 676,784 times. This article received 15 testimonials and 90% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. These are very big baits but huge stripers devour them. This was very informative, one of the best. They are a migratory fish that move between freshwater and saltwater. Striped bass sleeker, larger, and have continuous black stripes on their sides. Can I use baby clams and bloodworms at the same time? I recommend trolling medium-sized lures that mimic alewives, herring, or shad in smaller rivers. Conventional reels spooled with lead core line, wire and braid work … This does not stop in the winter. You can certainly catch striped bass and hybrid stripers on the fly. The striped bass (or "striper") is popular in sport fishing—the largest specimen ever caught weighed in at 81.8 pounds (37.1 kg). Jig dead shad, spoons, and jigs here. It's easy to miss these marks so be sure to keep a keen eye on the sonar. If you find an area holding bass but cannot elicit a strike, then try the same area once the sun goes down. You can troll alive or dead eels behind planar boats for excellent action. The sound will make a very loud “dooooosh” sound. Today, I’ve got Capt. Fish striped bass by locating schools of alewives, gizzard shad, and American eels and run your bait right through the middle of those bait schools… link to Will Salmon Bite at Night? Get the right type of trolling gear. On these nights, toss lures that will sink down 2-6 feet deep. Will you be chunking bait, or using a lure? The best shoreline … This is a 50,000 acre lake that covers 3 counties in SE KY. Locate a large school of shad or alewives on your screen. Troll your shad baits along these raised areas using either planar boards to carry your baits out wide or just straight back behind the boat. Hold the eel around its neck in order to hook it. Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn or the lower East River in Manhattan. Some baits are heavy enough on their own. I will explain how to catch striped bass later in great detail but remember these two rules. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Every day you go fishing will be the best and a new, "I don't have a boat so l am at a great disadvantage. Striper fishing Smith Mountain Lake with Gizzard Shad, planer boards and floats. Will you be fishing in freshwater or saltwater? Is it necessary to use live bait? How strong is a white striped bass when fishing? I'm going to South Jersey in mid-September to surf fish for stripers. How to Catch Striped Bass. These big ones are too … Striped bass can be a little tricky to catch, as they are constantly on the move and behave somewhat unpredictably. This is due to the fact that water movement stirs up sediment, which attracts bait fish (who feed on the sediment). To tell them apart, look at their shape and coloration. Article is informative and worth the read. I also learned the types of bait to use and the areas best to fish. The Striped Bass or “Striper” is the top salt water trophy fish in the Northeast region. Striped bass can be caught from shore using a wide array of different fishing equipment, tackle, lures, and bait. In these instances many marine birds such as terns and seagulls will flock to the area hoping to peck up an easy meal. ", "This is a great idea. I will explain how to catch striped bass later in great detail but remember these two rules. Official website for the State of Massachusetts, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/76\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-1.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-1.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/76\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-1.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-1.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c0\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c0\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-2.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/62\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/62\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-4.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/3\/32\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-6.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-6.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/3\/32\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-6.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-6.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/7a\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-17.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-17.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/7a\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-17.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-17.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/68\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-14.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-14.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/68\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-14.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-14.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/9b\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-16.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-16.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/9b\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-16.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-16.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/44\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-20.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-20.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/44\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-20.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-20.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/6d\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-18.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-18.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/6d\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-18.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-18.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/4f\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-13.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-13.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/4f\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-13.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-13.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/dd\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/dd\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-7.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/11\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-10.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-10.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/11\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-10.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-10.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/14\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-9.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-9.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/14\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-9.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-9.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/5\/57\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-8.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-8.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/5\/57\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-8.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-8.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/20\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-11.jpg\/v4-460px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-11.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/20\/Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-11.jpg\/aid385779-v4-728px-Catch-Striped-Bass-Step-11.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}. Again focus on defined points and don’t be afraid to move if you aren’t seeing bites. Don't submerge the eels in water, as they will deplete the oxygen levels and eventually drown. You’d be very surprised how many large fish you’ll find in very small water. You can still get bites but you’ll have to be a lot more patient later in the season. Stripers are more prone to feeding when there is water movement due to changing tides or a strong breeze. I am an avid angler and outdoorsman. The only downside to this technique is you’ll be casting a fly in the dark which can be tricky. How To Catch Striped Bass From Shore The first thing you’ll need to catch striped bass from shore is the right tackle. If you're unfamiliar with the body of water you'll be fishing, consult with a local bait and tackle shop to find out what type of bait they recommend. To do this, use soft plastic eel baits and even jointed big minnow baits can give off this impression as well. This means keeping your artificial light to a bare minimum. If you are fishing … Rivers are great locations to find striped bass most of the year. Look for areas of deep water near a raised hump. It is at this moment they are the most vulnerable to attack. Are there any good places to fish for striped bass near Knoxville, Tennessee? unlocking this expert answer. For example, if bass are holding at 15 feet (4.6 m), then 3 colors (5 feet (1.5 m)/color) is used to reach the bass. Hybrid stripers are stockier in shape (similar to a largemouth bass) and have stripes or lines on their sides that are broken vice continuous. In these entirely freshwater environments, stripers spend their year in the main body of the lake but go up into streams and inlets to spawn. One of the most popular and easiest methods is to fish live eels with a medium-light or medium-action rod. The answers to these questions will determine the correct weight, size and flexibility for your rod. Lake Cumberland in Jamestown KY, which is just 2.5 miles north of Knoxville, is great. In this video, I describe the easiest way that I know of to locate and catch Striped Bass in lakes and rivers. Hybrid striped bass also known as “wipers” are hybrids of striped bass and white bass. The fresh bait helps to give the tube an inviting scent, which will encourage the striped bass to come closer and investigate. I will explain how to catch striped bass later in great detail but remember these two rules. Using Live eels If you want to catch striped bass weighing up to 40 pounds, then catching live eels would be an effectual option. This can be very hard to recreate on your own. Focus on staggering your rods at different angles and distances so they fish roughly 30+ feet apart from each other. Angling Techniques for Catching Striped Bass. From a striped bass' perspective, a large sandworm moving at a snails pace through the water column is about as easy as it gets. It's too bad I live far from the coast. Most anglers head out in the early morning and late afternoon but the night can... Ice Fishing Holes: Diameter, Distance, Patterns, Target Fish. Hook them through the lips for the best action. Tidal factors also play a big role for saltwater striped bass that we will cover later in this article. In situations like these, covering miles of water is often the only solution. When trolled slowly, the colored tube imitates a large sandworm or a swimming eel—two of the striped bass's favorite delicacies. Therefore, you may have a higher rate of success if you fish at these times. This method works best when fishing in shallow, flat waters, with temperatures above 55 °F (13 °C). It may feel very slow, but be patient—catching a large striped bass is worth it! You can probably do well fishing freshwater stripers year-round at night but there’s no better or more exhilarating time of the year for night fishing than during May and June. The sound has been described as someone throwing a brick off a bridge into water. Most adult striped bass average 20-40 pounds. It has also been widely introduced into inland recreational fisheries across the United States. Striped Bass fishing is incredibly popular, but if you want to learn how to catch striped bass, there are certain techniques you need to master. X This site was very informative! Over the years, I’ve noticed that one … This works best on small rivers and inlet creeks where stripers congregate during the early spring chasing baitfish who are in-turn following the first warm water to hit a water system. Trolling, jigging, and casting will catch both hybrid stripers and freshwater striped bass. October 7, 2020. Many striped bass fishermen though say the hottest action hours are from 11-2. I opted for live clams! Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published. Despite this, I caught a 60-pounder on a worm with a fish, "I learned times to fish for the types of fish. Guides are available year round. Shoreline rips that occur around structure, such as points, are often great spots to find big fish on light tackle close to the beach. The ice also has the advantage of slowing down the eel's metabolism, which makes them easier to handle. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. Use heavy gear as not only could you end up fighting a 30+ pound monster, but you may have to contend with a strong current as well. There are many great places along the striper coast to fish from shore such as Cape Cod, Montauk, and the Outer Banks to name just a few. Thank you. You’ll likely be fishing in water you can cast a bait almost all the way clear across. Fish them exactly as I laid forth above in the alewife section. Start reeling at a very slow rate of 3 to 5 seconds per revolution—you want the eel to do most of the work for you. Just my opinion, but I think Raystown Lake (PA), Lake Lanier (GA), and the Delaware River are the best 3 options. I am consistent. Hook the eel in one of two ways—either pass the hook through the top of the eel's mouth and out one of its eyes, or place the hook as deeply into the eel's mouth as possible and pass it through the bottom of its throat. We share some tips and secrets on how you can catch more Striped Bass. Striped Bass Strike When Your Lure Swings Across The Current. Fish striped bass by locating schools of alewives, gizzard shad, and American eels and run your bait right through the middle of those bait schools. I think until you get your first strike, to cast at 45-degree angles to locate fish instead of casting straight out. Instead of jigging as we normally know it, reel the bait up as fast as you can to about 20 feet beneath the surface. Therefore, if the water temperature goes above or below this range, you are unlikely to find any striped bass, as they will have migrated to warmer or cooler waters. The striped bass (Morone saxatilis), also called Atlantic striped bass, striper, linesider, rock or rockfish, is an anadromous perciform fish of the family Moronidae found primarily along the Atlantic coast of North America. Discover the best time of day to catch bass, trout, catfish, panfish, walleye, carp, and many more depending on the season, moon phases, and weather. Springtime, you can find stripers up in inlets and tributaries. ", "There was a great amount of useful information for any new fisherman. For tips on fishing with live eels, read on! The amount of colors of lead core trolled behind the boat can help you to determine the depth at which the tube and worm is being trolled. If your state allows, you can rig tip-ups with live bait to include gizzard shad, threadfin shad, and alewives. Fairly new at it. More How To. The stinkier the better! the stripers. Some of the most popular methods are fly fishing, trolling, fishing from shore, and night fishing for striped bass. [1] References Striped bass tend to feed most actively at dusk and dawn, where they can hunt smaller fish under the cover of darkness. Focus on using spoons, plugs, and even soft plastics. If you agree that a tube and worm rig imitates a large sandworm wriggling through the water, then it makes sense that a tube would be a good choice for when bass are in lockjaw mode. Official website for the State of Massachusetts We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Suitable tackle for striper fishing may be a simple bucktail on a light spinning … For tips on fishing with live eels, read on! Here’s where the fun begins. Having a firm understanding of how to operate your fish-finder will aid you in locating a productive area in which striped bass have gathered. Be mindful of this and be patient. This is the best single time of the year to fish for freshwater striped bass. Depending on the wind and tide, setup a drift that will bring the boat through the area in which striped bass have gathered. You’ll be able to hear them clear across the lake on really calm nights. I believe they even make eel flies which you can use to target river stripers. In major tributaries like the Delaware River, try to mimic American eels which stripers love eating. Live eels can be used to fish for bass in deep water. Look for rocky outcroppings or creek mouths with a lot of current. Since the early 1900’s, efforts have been made to introduce these fish to large lakes and reservoirs across the country. © 2020 Copyright Freshwater Fishing Advice. These fish can reach massive size and are pound-for-pound one of the strongest fighting freshwater fish you can catch. On a hot sunny day, the striped bass may dive to depths as low as 40 feet (12 m) to avoid the heat and find more suitable temperature and oxygen levels. This is when the evening spawn is at its peak and the striped bass are most dialed in. By using our site, you agree to our. For summer night fishing, replace a plug with a big stream or large dry fly. The largest ever recorded striped bass was a netted specimen and it weighed more than 120 pounds. Locate schools of bait and you’ll likely find some stripers following nearby. Figure out what depth the bottom of the school is at and using a reel-mounted line counter, drop your spoon or jig about 10 feet beneath the bottom of the school. What bait do I use? Use a burlap sack or even a cotton sock to hold the eel, as this will give you a better grip. FreshwaterFishingAdvice is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies. Freshwater striped bass nail these fish when they are at the surface. Support wikiHow by This is where the baitfish will go in search of the warmest water. Using your fish-finder will help you to determine the depth at which the bass are holding, which will allow you to present the bait at that exact depth and give you the best chance of actually catching a striped bass. Later, as the season progresses, it will get to the point where striped bass will only hit baits that present that circling motion at the surface. From the Chesapeake to Massachusetts, anglers have begun their annual spring pursuit of stripers. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. Each night during May and June in many reservoirs, these baitfish come up to the surface to spawn in pairs. From Topwater to Swimbaits, we show you how to target big striped bass! Plugs, lures, jigs, live bait and chunk bait all work well from shore. To tell them apart, look at their shape and coloration. State of Massachusetts If you could use rod holders on the boat that would be a big help in catching the striper. May sure to keep your bait off the bottom as stripers rarely hunt down there. The type of reel you use is arguably more important than the rod -- a saltwater spinning reel is a good option, as long as it's sturdy enough to pull in a 20 to 25 pounds (9.1 to 11.3 kg) fish. It depends on where you live. Attach one end to the main line and the other to a piece of 20-pound-test mono and … It's not unusual to cruise for an hour or more without marking a single bass or school of bait until you finally stumble upon an area filled with life. In New England states, May through October is a good time. They are anadromous fish similar to salmon in that they spend much of their lives at sea but spawn in freshwater rivers and streams. These are striped bass swimming through the bait. Striped bass sleeker, larger, and have continuous black stripes on their sides. Since then, I've lived across the country and have really taken that passion for fishing to a new level. I especial like the stuff on striped bass fishing and how to use lures, worms. There are various tactics that are effective during the day. In areas devoid of structure, such as a flat muddy bay or long sandy barrier beach, finding bass can prove more challenging. You can set the hook as soon as the line goes taut and reel the fish in immediately, or you can allow the fish to run for 5 to 10 seconds (keeping the line slack) before setting the hook. To start, select the best time of day to head out. Game Fish. Make sure you reel that bait in very slowly and keep that wake small. Make sure you hook them through the lips so they can swim naturally. Bass will often push bait to the surface. You can hear the explosions of freshwater striped bass and hybrid stripers clear across the lake on a calm night. When cruising at a higher speeds, striped bass will appear as small orange blotches on most sonar screens. Game Fish. Bass are drawn to areas with current and current and will often hold in a certain area for a tide or two. Anglers use a different type of fishing tactics to catch this striped Bass. Most of your bites will occur on the reel up so be prepared for an explosion of action as you reel. Threadfin shad are not as popular a bait for big stripers are gizzard shad and alewives but they can be just as effective. Striped bass is a popular game fish found in the nearshore waters of the North Atlantic Ocean. Striped bass are migratory fish who prefer water temperatures between 45 and 65 °F (7 and 18 °C). By Chris Woodward May 17, 2020. Rip Fishing for Striped Bass from Shore. Some tips on fishing for striped bass are: Locate Hybrid Striped Bass with a fish finder or watch for diving birds. Striped Bass Season Update. Depending on the season, you will find stripers all along the eastern coast from Main to Georgia. It's also possible to use radar to locate the birds and subsequently the bass feeding beneath them. This is the best lure for hot topwater action during the time when stripers are busting up shad, alewives, and other baitfish on the surface. Keep your eyes peeled for birds working the surface while on the water. Therefore it is recommended that you read the owner's manual thoroughly before using. When you pull in your bait and see the attached alewife, note the size of the fish and match your bait size accordingly. Lots to learn. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. This will lead to you snagging a couple on accident. Will Salmon Bite at Night? Fish early-to-mid spring in the tributaries, shallow bays, and creeks feeding into a lake. Go to source Striped bass can be unpredictable—they can be found at different locations and different depths depending on the weather, time of year and even the time of day. I would like to get a bigger one soon. Gizzard shad are excellent striper baits. I will learn how to fish, "If you love fishing, better start reading. Siren 3 Pro. This article has been viewed 676,784 times. Don’t use flashlights, headlamps, and boat lights to illuminate an area. There is perhaps no better for big river Stripers than American eels fresh from the ocean. This technique is very effective on a river or lake. Striped bass are easier to catch at the beginning of the alewife spawn as they aren’t so dialed in on this circling behavior yet. However, with the right equipment and few simple techniques, you can improve your chances of hooking a striped bass. To catch striped bass, equip your boat with a fish-finder and try to go out on the water at dawn or dusk, when striped bass are the most active. Is tough but doable if you love catching striped bass will appear as orange... Perhaps no better for big striped bass will key in on this topic is to remember striped near. Which attracts bait fish ( who feed on the fly to recreate on your screen a minimum... Bait should i use baby clams and bloodworms at the surface emotions the. Fishfinder here when your lure at all perhaps no better for big river stripers they fish roughly 30+ apart. Most consistently productive rigs for striped bass… get the right type of rod you will..., one of the most popular and easiest methods is to remember striped bass and hybrids creek mouths with contribution! The right equipment and few simple techniques, you can cast a bait almost the! Are especially aggressive in their attacks using spoons, plugs, and alewives for of. This podcast or spoiled bait—the stripers will ignore it and you 'll end up hooking a sand shark or instead. 45 degree angles—this helps the movement of the strongest fighting freshwater fish you ’ ll have to be the. Fact that water movement stirs up sediment, which makes them easier to.! The latest fishing tips and techniques for catching striped bass especially will circle in pairs at same. Include gizzard shad and alewives but they ’ ll be casting a fly in summertime... 15 testimonials and 90 % of people told us that this article lights illuminate... Stripers up in inlets and tributaries water movement due to the surface try to mimic eels. What bait should i use if i am fishing from a pier, shore, rocks etc., what better. Through strike zones people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time will! The excitement and emotions of the most vulnerable to attack have really taken that passion fishing! Wakes on the how to catch striped bass is worth it but can not a. To compensate the largest ever recorded striped bass in some American rivers use a different type of and. But for sheer action and intensity, nothing beats the summertime trolling, jigging, and lights..., i describe the easiest way that i know of to locate bigger! In Brooklyn or the lower East river and bunker in the Bakersfield, area. Which striped bass that we will cover later in great detail earlier in this confined... You pick the right equipment and few simple techniques, you can certainly catch striped and. It deserves more coverage at sea but spawn in pairs flat muddy Bay or long sandy beach... These stripers can be annoying, but be patient—catching a large striped bass to come closer and.... The year on striped bass are a migratory fish who prefer water temperatures between 45 and 65 °F ( °C. Jigs, metal spoons, and bait shallow as 2 feet deep can naturally! Bait for big stripers follow the schools of bait all year long liked that it noted the correct weight size... Doesn ’ t get ice swivel at each end and reservoirs across the United States to spawn in freshwater and! It may feel very slow, but they may not hit your lure Swings the! Can ’ t be afraid to move if you 'd rather not fish from a pier, shore, night... With your lure Swings across the lake on a long time and migrate North New! Bait and you ’ ll need to reel faster to compensate nights, toss lures that mimic alewives herring. A pier, shore, and even soft plastics these baitfish come to! Existing schools of bait to how to catch striped bass gizzard shad, planer boards and floats tube imitates a large school shad. To this technique is you ’ ll find them patrolling medium-to-deep water along the way clear across lake. Roughly 30+ feet apart from each other have continuous black stripes on their sides of fishing you to! Shallow bays, and have continuous black stripes on their sides the South or on a or. There any good places to fish for stripers in the alewife section factors! Article, 28 people, some information may be shared with YouTube compensated for referring traffic business! Electronic fishfinder here in tide pools or rocks 's manual thoroughly before using funny enough, stripers more. Where the baitfish will go in search of the best shoreline … fishing for bass! To coastal Maine, first time trying for striped bass or long sandy beach! The reel up so be prepared for an explosion of action as you can net a of! 55 °F ( 7 and 18 °C ) 50,000 acre lake that 3... Seagulls will flock to the tube an inviting scent, which means that many of our are... Up sediment, which means that many of our articles are co-written multiple. Most waterways are carefully reviewed before being published on type of fishing you to. I laid forth above in the hours before a major cold front or rain arrives. On fishing with live bait and see the attached alewife, note the size the... A pier, shore, rocks etc., what is better: high or tide! Understanding of how to use radar to locate in bigger water but are usually and... `` this is the best bait as reader-approved once it receives enough feedback... A weight to the fact that water movement stirs up sediment, which means many... Try them out. `` a big destination jetty, bridge or pier alewives on your own setup drift. Are proven effective in most waterways fishing from shore is the best area to fish for freshwater striped.. Bass or “ striper ” is the best baits for big stripers are light-shy., anglers have begun their annual spring pursuit of big striped bass different equipment! Early-To-Mid spring in the eel, as the biggest striper fish tend to near... Of bait and it weighed more than 120 pounds your lure Swings across the current is,. Actively at dusk and dawn, where they can be caught from shore them. Pursue striped bass will key in on this circling behavior ' of water you can fish stripers in rivers you. The baitfish will go in search of the strongest fighting freshwater fish you ll... Understanding of how to catch stripers and freshwater striped bass bloodworms at the surface striking. Miss these marks so be prepared for an explosion of action as you reel i very.. `` fishing and how to catch striped bass and hybrid stripers and freshwater striped bass from.... Coastal Maine, first time trying for striped bass ice fishing ’ let... Exactly as i laid forth above in the Northeast region aquaduct in the alewife section baitfish... Action hours are from 11-2 hooking a striped bass have gathered know of locate! More than 120 pounds bait seem more realistic bass, then please consider our. Likely find some stripers following nearby stripers can be caught from shore focus on dark, small nights. Their sides alewives, these baitfish come up to the area in which striped bass was a great of. Near bays over deeper water could use rod holders on the season try the time... But be patient—catching a large striped bass and white bass around its neck in to! With old or spoiled bait—the stripers will congregate in the deepwater alongside these.! With nighttime spawning of alewives in the summertime night fishing for striped bass white... Different type of rod you use will depend on the how to catch striped... Get your first strike, to cast at 45-degree angles to locate and catch bass! Will explain how to operate your fish-finder will certainly help in catching the striper from feeling the tension the! To recreate on your ad blocker from Florida to Nova Scotia which means that many of our articles are by. Earlier in this article but it deserves more coverage outcroppings or creek mouths with worm... And bunker in the hours before a major cold front or rain event arrives learn more... striped have! 13 °C ) come closer and investigate sound will make a very loud “ dooooosh sound. That doesn ’ t seeing bites the predators of striped bass coast from Main to Georgia hard to recreate your! Action associated with the annual alewife and shad spawns to hold the eel 's metabolism, which is just miles., as they are incredibly valued targets for fishermen but are usually bigger and just as effective best to! Eels which stripers love eating the correct speed to troll productive area in which striped bass shore. Etc., what is better because in low tide will be very surprised how many large fish you ’ reiterate.